Ministry matters

Russian Defense Ministry confirms submarine missile attacks on Ukraine

Firing during the joint exercises of the North Sea and Black Sea fleets in the Black Sea. File photo by Alexei Druzhinin/EPA-EFE/Sputnik/Kremlin

April 30 (UPI) — The Russian Defense Ministry has confirmed previous claims by the Ukrainian military that it used a submarine in the Black Sea to launch cruise missile attacks on Ukraine.

The ministry confirmed the attacks by releasing video on Friday appearing to show a diesel submarine in the Black Sea launching Kalibr cruise missiles at Ukrainian targets, CNN reported.

“The crew of a diesel-electric Black Sea Fleet submarine launched a salvo of Kalibr cruise missiles from the Black Sea against the military infrastructure of the Ukrainian Armed Forces,” the ministry said on the statement. messaging app Telegram, according to CNN.

Ukraine’s military said a week ago that the Russian fleet was still operating “missile-equipped submarines”, among two dozen units in the Black Sea.

Russian troops were “launching missiles and shelling military and civilian infrastructure, including from strategic bombers, ships and submarines,” the Ukrainian Armed Forces added on Monday.

Meanwhile, a witness told CNN she heard at least two explosions in the southern city of Odessa on Saturday, and she was still experiencing hearing difficulties from the noise they made.

Moreover, on Saturday, the shelling in the Russian border region continued.

The shelling hit an oil terminal in the village of Zhecha in Russia’s Bryansk region, which borders Ukraine, causing damage, but there were no casualties, regional governor Alexander Bogomaz said in a statement on Saturday. communicated.

Friday, Bogomaz said in a The Telegram Post of the Border Department of the Federal Security Service reported another shelling incident in a nearby village, Belaya Berezka, alleging that the mortar fire came from the territory of Ukraine. During this incident, Bogomaz said the water and electricity networks were damaged, but there were no casualties.

Russian forces moved troops normally stationed in Russia’s far east to battle lines in eastern Ukraine, adding it was an attempt to gain momentum in a “heavy” offensive there, the Ukrainian army said on Saturday. The New York Times reported.

Russian troops are deployed in the Russian town of Belgorod, near the Ukrainian border, and then in an area around the town of Izium in northeastern Ukraine, the Ukrainian military said.

The British Ministry of Defense added in a intelligence update Saturday that since the Russian army was defeated in its attempt to take kyiv on the eastern front, it has had to “merge and redeploy exhausted and disparate units from failed advances in the northeast Ukraine”.

“Many of these units are likely to be suffering from weakened morale,” the UK Ministry of Defense added.

“Russia hopes to rectify the problems that previously limited its invasion by geographically concentrating combat power, shortening supply lines and simplifying command and control,” the UK Ministry of Defense also said.

Yet continued attacks on Ukrainian infrastructure have taken their toll, including Russian forces hitting the Kremenchuk Oil Refinery this week, Ukraine’s main producer of petroleum products, along with several other major refineries, leading to fuel shortages.

“The occupiers are deliberately destroying the fuel production, supply and storage infrastructure,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky told the nation in his evening address. “Russia has also blocked our ports, so there are no immediate solutions to fill the gap.”

Since the beginning of the Russian invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2,899 civilians have been killed and 3,235 injured, according to the latest update from a United Nations human rights office.

Ukrainian service members stand next to a damaged building in a residential area after the bombing of kyiv, Ukraine, March 18. Photo by Vladyslav Musiienko/UPI | License picture