Shillong: Home Ministry to meet with stakeholders to discuss Assam-Meghalaya border dispute on March 9, Meghalaya Chief Minister says Conrad K. Sangma noted.
The Meghalaya CM said the meeting in Delhi would only discuss the border dispute and not deal with the proposed peace talks with the banned militant group Hynñiewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC).
The MHA meeting was convened after the governments of Meghalaya and Assam submitted their recommendations on the border dispute last month.
Both Assam and Meghalaya had decided to focus on six areas of difference out of the 12 disputed border points for the first phase.
Governments formed regional committees headed by ministers. The regional committees visited the villages falling under the six areas of divergence and then submitted their recommendations.
The two chief ministers will probably adopt the give-and-take policy.
According to the recommendations, out of a total of 36.79 sq km of disputed land in six areas – Gizang, Tarabari, Boklapara, Khanapara-Pilingkata and Ratacherra-Assam would get 18.51 sq km while Meghalaya would get 18.28 sq km. The recommendations, which aimed to end the five-decade-old border between the two neighbors, were earlier approved by the cabinets of both states.
It can be mentioned that Sangma had recently met with the stakeholders to brief them on the status of the border talks. Local NGOs expressed their dissatisfaction with the report and decided not to accept the government’s report yet.
Elon Musk to the rescue: Starlink service now active in Ukraine