The Ministry of National Security rejected what it said was a misuse of the withdrawal of military personnel attached to the office of the Speaker of Parliament.
This dismissal follows the withdrawal of four soldiers from the President’s security service with effect from January 14, 2022 by the military high command.
In a letter dated January 11, 2022 and signed by Major General NP Andoh, Chief of Staff of the Ghana Armed Forces, he said that the four soldiers – WOII Jafaru Bunwura, WOII Apugiba Awine David, S/Sgt Agbley Prosper, Sgt Bonney Prince – were deployed to President Alban Sumana Kingsford Bagbin’s office “without proper procedure” and efforts were being made to regularize their posting.
The decision has been questioned by the minority in parliament and a section of Ghanaians who believe that the withdrawal would put the president in danger.
But, in a statement dated January 15, 2022, the Department of National Security said the withdrawal had been misrepresented.
According to the ministry, “Ghana Armed Forces personnel are not part of the President’s and Parliament’s security service, as parliamentary security support is provided by the Ghana Police Service”.
He added that: “Any agency-specific support needs are generally executed on an as-needed basis in accordance with stated protocols.”
Contrary to the aforementioned misinterpretation, the ministry said that all necessary resources, including logistics and personnel necessary for the full protection of the president, have been provided.
The ministry said it should be noted that for the first time since 2017, security arrangements for the president and MPs have been significantly improved.
“To reiterate, there has been neither withdrawal of security detail for the President nor reduction of the security force of Parliament. The good people of Ghana are therefore requested to disregard any unfounded speculation to this effect” , underlines the press release. .
The Office of the President, however, questioned the reason for the withdrawal of the four soldiers.
In the Bureau’s view, the removal is an attempt to strip the President of his security blanket; a decision he called untenable and which sets a bad precedent.
“In a country proud of its democratic institutions and processes, the decision to reduce the number of security officers assigned to the President undermines the political gains that Ghana has made and sets a bad precedent.
“The unknown reason for such a move is baffling, but the real motive should be obvious to all objective observers of the political scene in Ghana.
“If this is an attempt to gag the President, this decision will only serve to widen the gap between the legislature and the other branches of government. It also raises the possibility of a plot to put the safety and security of the President in jeopardy. way.”
The Ghanaian Times, meanwhile, saw a January 21, 2021 letter from Clark to Parliament, Cyril Nsiah and addressed to the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, in which the former called for a S/Sgt Adekurah Andrew to be replaced by S/Sgt Apugiba Awine David of 1BN.
“With reference to our letter PC/CS/112/20 dated January 18, 2021 regarding the [request for attachment of military personnel as security detail of the Right Honourable Speaker of Parliament], the President has requested that 196624 S/Sgt Adekurah Andrew be replaced by 193211 S/Sgt Apugiba Awine David of 1BN,” the letter read.
He then went ahead to name the four now-retired soldiers as the president’s choice to serve on his security team.